w/e 16.5.2015

The teams occupying the top two places in this season’s Division 2 played out an entertaining Haworth & Gallagher Bowl final at BootleFC on Friday evening. Title winning Rainhill Town emerged victorious against Divisional runners-up Heswall, courtesy of a 74th minute Matt Dooling penalty. Town thought that they had made a breakthrough as early as the 2nd minute when they netted following a free kick, only to be denied when a linesman spotted an infringement in the buildup. Undaunted, they continued to press and another attack caused consternation in the Heswall defence before the ball went narrowly wide. Heswall responded and Town were relieved to clear their lines after Andy Kingan rounded keeper Jack Hopkins and sent his shot towards goal. A loose back pass soon had Heswall custodian Joe Collister in trouble but after bypassing him, Lee Thompson found the angle too narrow and screwed his shot behind. The ex Tranmerekeeper was again in action when making a point blank save but was relieved to see another Thompson effort slip past the far post. Heswallhit back and Tom Carroll fired over the bar while Danny Roberts sawhis fierce attempt blocked. The half ended with Collister saving well after Jeffries had fed Thompson who shot smartly on the turn. First effort on goal after the interval saw Carroll clear the bar then Doolings crafty flicked attempt went wide of the near post after a cross by Ryan Burke. The contest entered a phase with both sides probing for an opening only to be denied by effective defensive work but Collister had to be alert when tipping a goal bound effort over the top and at the other end Carroll had his strike on target blocked, while team mate Greg Drummond floated his shot wide of Hopkin’s goal.The pivotal moment of the encounter arrived with 16 minutes remaining. Elliott had proved to be a handful throughout and after collecting the ball in midfield he evaded a couple of challenges before appearing to lose the ball only for his persistence to see him regain control and on making progress into the box he was brought down. The awarded penalty was coolly slotted home by Dooling. Town thought that they had doubled their lead only to be thwarted by a goal line clearance and Dooling had a close range header saved by Collisterand Dave Monteith’s long range powerful strike just cleared the bar. Heswall had two late attempts to stay in the contest with Kingancoming closest when Hopkins saved his effort. Congratulations go to Rainhill whose league and cup double mirrored their achievement of twelve months ago in Division 3 and they will again lock horns with their village opponents in Division 1 next season.   


This season’s Wirral FA Senior Cup holders are Vauxhall Motors who defeated league rivals Mallaby, 3-1 in Monday night’s rearranged final at Cammell Laird 1907 F.C. The Motormen went in front courtesy of a Kal Herbert effort and increased their lead through John Atkinson. Mallaby fought back and scored the goal of the game when central defender Nick Ryan launched the ball from inside his own half and into the back of the Vauxhall net. However Kynan Mason went on to seal victory with a third goal, against opponents who completed the contest with 10 men. The success saw Vauxhalls repeat their WirralSenior triumphs of 2011 and 2013.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s