Cheshire FL Round Up – 16/5/15


Jeff Walton Memorial Cup


The Inter-league side under the interim management of Jimmy Bush and Phil Harrison secured a 2-0 win away at the Lancashire Amateur League to book their place in the semi-final of the competition. A goal in each half from Garswood United player Danny Clarke sealed the win for our side as we comfortably controlled play in the midfield giving Lancashire little opportunity to test Aaron Tyrer in goal. 

The three points were all the Cheshire League needed to book their place in the semi-final due to other results in the competition and they will now go on to play the Lancashire and Cheshire League away at the start of September. The other semi-final will be played between Manchester League and West Lancashire League.

League One

The only league game of the week saw Egerton finish 4-2 winners away at Penlake. The win ensured that Egerton will finish in fourth place, while nothing less than a win will do for Penlake as they face Golborne Sports next week in their last chance to avoid relegation.

Presidents Cup Final




Tarporley Victoria made it to their first cup final since joining the Cheshire League in 2006 and celebrated a 2-1 win over Malpas.



Joe Marley opened the scoring for Tarporley early in the game meaning Malpas had to dig deep to come back. They drew back on level terms in the 35th minute through a strike from Danny Lloyd but things got more difficult for the Shropshire side when their top striker was dismissed shortly before half time for kicking out after the ball had gone.


Tarporley used their extra man advantage and looked to get a second but Malpas closed them down well as they also searched for the winner. Despite a good effort from Malpas it as Tarporley who found the goal as striker Sam Lloyd hit the ball on the volley and sent it crashing into the Malpas net from distance to secure a cup final victory for his team


A selection of photos from the Presidents Cup Final are on Flickr here:

League Two

Wythenshawe Town ensured they maintained their 100% league and cup record for the season as they won both of their remaining fixtures. Tuesday saw a goal in each half from Ben Brooks and Remmi Williams secure a 2-0 win over Witton Albion Reserves, before storming to a 7-1 win at Moore United. Williams gave Wythenshawe the lead after 16 minutes following a mix up in the Moore defence but Moore drew back on level terms in the 35th minute after Danny Dunne was fouled in the box. Colin Wilson hit home from the spot after sending Jacob Luty the wrong way. 

Wythenshawe then grabbed two goals in quick succession at the end of the half to go into the break 3-1 up. Ben Brooks finished well into the roof of the net before extending their lead from the penalty spot after Williams was fouled in the area.

Brooks made it 4-1 shortly after the restart and Moore were unlucky not to pull one back after Joe Holt beat the Wythenshawe defence before firing his shot off from 30 yards, sending it just wide of the post.

Brooks completed his hat trick with 15 minutes left on the clock as he danced through the box before dispatching the ball past Balmer in the Moore net. He then hit home from the penalty spot again after being hacked down in the box to score his 50th goal of the season to make it 6-1.

Wythenshawe scored again with eight minutes remaining to put themselves 19 points clear at the top, ready to start a new challenge in league one next season.

Irlam Reserves started their week with a 4-1 win away at Altrincham Reserves as John Main (2) Ryan McDonagh and Kyle Davies all hit home, before going on to lose 3-2 at the hands of Witton Albion Reserves. Jack Johnson scored twice for Witton with Dan King adding the third and moving then up to eighth spot.

Reserve League One

Whaley Bridge started their week off with a 1-1 draw at home against Poynton, before going on to beat Billinge 1-0. They now need to win their final game against Middlewich Town to finish as runners up in the division for the second year running.

Greenalls PSO currently sit in second spot after beating champions Linotype CHN 2-0 with Ellis Houghton and Jack Hynes both scoring in the second half to finish their season on a high.

Styal made it six wins in six as they beat Gamesley 5-1 in midweek. Tom Pryce bagged a hat trick, while Dom Kinsella and Troy Hayder also scored as Styal cemented fourth place in the league table.

Eagle Sports ended their season with two big wins, firstly beating Billinge 9-2 in a game that saw both Mike Doodson and Alan Staniforth score a hat trick, while Tom Hanson, Adam Deakin and James Hardie also added their names to the score sheet. 

Eagle followed this up with a 4-2 win away at Gamesley. Tom Hanson got the hat trick this time and Neil Muttock also hit home for Eagle, while Liam Redmond scored both goals for Gamesley. 

Poynton hit Rylands for six as they finished 6-0 winners, while ten men Grappenhall Sports beat Linotype CHN 3-2 through a hat trick from Matthew Ball after the sides went in level at 1-1 at half time.

Middlewich Town secured their first league win of the season as goals from Mark oSullivan (2) Jamie Garner and Beck Connell saw them finish 4-2 winners away at Garswood United.

Reserve League Two

Wythenshawe Town finished their season off with a 7-3 win away at Denton Town, leaving them in fourth place, behind Pilkington only on goal difference.

Denton went on to suffer a 5-1 defeat at home against Cuddington meaning they will finish their season in fifth spot, five points above their opponents in sixth.

A win on the last day of the season meant that West Didsbury & Chorlton A moved off the bottom of the table as they won 5-3 away at Malpas.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s