Cheshire FL Round-Up – 9/5/15


Premier Division

Linotype CHN made sure they took the title race right down to the last game of the season as they searched for their first league title in 21 years.

A single goal from Leon Grandison helped them beat Crewe 1-0 at home to keep them three points ahead of Eagle Sports in third. Eagle beat Garswood United 5-0 in a game that they knew only a win would do. They took the lead through a Ged McAllister shot which deflected past the goalkeeper via a touch from a defender.
Lee Boardman soon added a second thanks to a trademark free kick and McAllister took his side in at the break with 3-0 lead, finishing low past the keeper after being put through one on one.

The second half saw Garswood come out and try to reduce the deficit but Eagle went on to score another two goals. McAllister completed his hat-trick before substitute Danny Burthem finished well from the edge of the box.

Eagle Sports knew that they had a mountain to climb to obtain the league title as they would need to beat Linotype by five clear goals to secure the trophy on the last day of the season. However Linotype only needed a point from the game to make the title theirs. On the day, a goal in each half from Carl Sutton and Kingsley Grandison secured the win for Linotype having only lost twice all season in the league.

The win for Linotype meant that Eagle Sports finished third in the league, level on points with runners up Knutsford but with a poorer goal difference.

Whaley Bridge signed off their season with two comfortable victories, beating Poynton 4-0 through goals from George Burgess, Dan Christie, Joe Burgess and Bill Sutton, before going on to secure a 3-1 win away at Rudheath Social.

Nathan Tickle (2) and Lucasz Synowicz scored for Crewe in a 3-0 win over Billinge that sees them finish in fourth, their highest league place to date, with a club record of 59 points.

Denton Town showed that they would battle to the end and showed strong spirit beating Sandbach United 6-4 at home. Mike Bennett (2) Phil Cooper, Chica Uche, Alan Hamlett and Martin Kilgour all scored for Denton in a great team performance, while Oliver Jepson (2) Josh Lane and Sam Wakefield scored for Sandbach.

Danny Graham and Scott Baker scored for Pilkington in a 2-1 win at Greenalls PSO but the St Helens side had already been relegated due to results elsewhere.

Denton Town were also relegated this week despite beating Rylands 6-2 on the last day of the season as it seems their run of form came that little bit too late. They will join Pilkington in league one next season.

Gamesley will finish their season in tenth place after beating Poynton 4-2 at home.  Dewhurst added another two to his tally for the season, while Peter Baker and Darren Scowcroft also found the net.

Styal suffered a difficult week as they lost 15-0 away at Gamesley. Mike Dewhurst was unstoppable as he scored an impressive eight goals, while Josh Stevenson managed to bag five. Tom Burns also made the score sheet twice in an obliteration of the side from Altrincham Road.

Styal struggled again midweek as they lost 8-0 at home to Billinge. Rob Ablewhite scored four times, along with goals from Declan Gregson (2) Ryan Platt and Ste Wolhuter

League One

Malpas finished their season off with a 3-2 win away at Middlewich Town. Joe Sumner opened the scoring after 9 minutes which was doubled soon after by Alex Hughes but a good comeback from Middlewich saw Adam Morris make it 2-1 just before the break. Substitute Mike Evans scored after the restart to put Middlewich back on level terms but Malpas stole the winner with a quick break by Chris Ingall with seven minutes left on the clock.

Presidents Cup

Midweek saw Warrington Town Reserves beat Witton Albion Reserves 3-2 in a close game to make it through to the semi-final on Saturday. First half goals from Lim Turner (2) and Gavin Horner gave Warrington a good cushion at the break as they went in 3-1 up with Dan King scoring for Witton. Spencer Cunliffe scored in the second half for the away side but they were unable to find the goal to take the game to extra time.

Malpas made their second Cheshire League final in as many years after beating Warrington Town Reserves 5-1 in the semi-final. Andy Morris bagged a brace, while Alex Hughes, Danny Lloyd and Lee Smith also hit home.

Malpas will face Tarporley Victoria who beat Irlam Reserves 1-0. Sam Lloyd scored the only goal in the second half to take Tarporley to the final which will be played at Barnton FC on Saturday 16th May. 3pm kick off.

JA Walton Cup Final


Lostock Gralam made it to the JA Walton Cup Final for the second year running, whilst Wythenshawe Town made it there on their first season in the league. The game started at a high tempo with both teams ready to battle for the silverware on offer. 


Wythenshawe struck first blood as they took the lead in the 10th minute when Ben Brookes found himself in space at the edge of the box to make it 1-0. Striker Remmy Williams doubled their lead after 23 minutes to give Wythenshawe a foot hold in the game. Lostock were shocked into action and started playing the passing game, this allowed them to let Callum Priestly loose up front and he hit home on the half hour mark to make it 2-1. However a mix up at the back saw Wythenshawe retake their two goal lead as an own goal hit the net in the 44thminute to make it 3-1 at the break.



The second half was a midfield battle as Lostock looked for a way back into the game while Wythenshawe were trying to control the play and pass the ball around. Brookes got his second of the game in the 51st minute to put Wythenshawe 4-1 up but Lostock came back again as Priestly got his second of the game with 66 minutes on the clock. Substitute Philip Clorey secured the win for Wythenshawe with 8 minutes remaining as he hit home from just inside the box to make it 5-2.


League Two

Mersey Valley finished their season on a high as they beat West Didsbury & Chorlton 4-0 on Monday. Gary Wood gave Valley the lead after only 8 minutes, before Kyle Denton made it 2-0 on the half hour mark. Wood scored again a minute later to give Valley a convincing lead at the break. Oliver Woodley scored in the 84th minute to put the game to bed and secure Valley a 4-0 victory.

West Didsbury went on to beat Witton Albion Reserves 4-3 in a close game on Saturday that saw West Didsbury come back from 3-2 down at half time to win the game 4-3. Montell Clarke, Dan King and Spencer Cunliffe were the scorers for Witton.

Reserve League One

Whaley Bridge continued their battle for second place after two successive wins this week. Dan Turner, Alex Airey and Ben Jackson scored in a 3-0 win away at Middlewich Town, which they followed up with a 2-0 win away at Poynton. They now sit two points behind Greenalls PSO who are in second place, with two games in hand.

Greenalls PSO started the week with a convincing 6-3 win away at Billinge as Paul Benns, Phil Harrison, Ellis Houghton, Ben Slater and Ben McWilliams (2) hit home. Jonathon Redmond, Anthony Ashcroft and Sean Homer scored for Billinge.

Garswood United started the week with a 4-1 win at home against Eagle Sports as Joe Jennings (2) Brian Hatton and Johnny Keddie hit home, before sharing the points with Middlewich in a 1-1 draw where Chris Holbrooks scored for Middlewich.

Billinge bounced back to beat Rylands 4-0 as Jack Leyland claimed all the goals, while Andrew Dawson scored a hat trick for Eagle Sports as they beat Poynton 3-0.

Two Joe Knight goals for Styal ended Linotype CHNs unbeaten league run as Styal finished 2-1 winners. Styal followed this up with a 2-1 win away at Greenalls PSO after going a goal down early on.

Sean Bennett bagged a brace for Daten as they beat Gamesley 2-1 away. The win means that Daten are safe from relegation but condemned Rylands to the second division for next season. Daten and Gamesley faced each other again in the reverse fixture on Saturday and on this occasion shared the points in a 3-3 draw that saw Steven Bates, Jordan McGrath and Dan Swift score for Gamesley.

Reserve League Cup

Billinge progressed to the final of the Reserve Division cup after beating last years winners Whaley Bridge 4-3 on penalties. Neither side were able to break the dead lock in the 90 minutes and the game went to extra time but the scores remained level and the game had to be decided on penalties.

Linotype CHN also made it through to the final after beating local rivals Wythenshawe Town. Linotype took a 3-1 lead through goals from Wayne Bromley, Jason Jones and Jack Taylor but Wythenshawe fought back and scored twice to take the game into extra time. Striker Ben Reeves came off the bench to score with four minutes of extra time remaining to book Linotypes place in the final.

The final will be played on Saturday 23rdMay at Barnton FC in Northwich with a 3pm kick off.

Reserve Division Two

Knutsford A signed off their season with two victories in two days; firstly beating Wythenshawe Town 2-1 away in a tight game that saw Mark Evans and Brad Williams score for Knutsford. The result meant that Sandbach United would go up in second place as Wythenshawe remained four points behind with a game in hand. The second win of the week came at home against Moore United where Evans scored the only goal in a 1-0. 

Golborne Sports also recorded two victories this week as they climbed to seventh in the table after beating West Didsbury & Chorlton A 6-0 with Josh Taffe bagging another hat trick and George Naughton, Gary Shannon and Dave Rigby also hitting home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s